What is SCR?
The term SCR stands for silicon-controlled rectifier which is one of the most important members of the thyristor family. A silicon-controlled rectifier or semiconductor-controlled rectifier is a four-layer solid-state current-controlling device.
The silicon-controlled rectifier is a one-way current control device. Like a simple p-n junction diode, it allows current to flow in one direction only and prevents current from flowing in another direction. A common p-n junction diode is made of two semiconductor layers, P-type and N-type. However, an SCR diode is made of 4 semiconductor layers with alternating P and N-type materials.
Below are some important applications of Silicon Controlled Rectifier (SCR)
- The silicon-controlled rectifier (SCR) is used in AC voltage stabilizers.
- The silicon-controlled rectifier (SCR) is used as a switch.
- It is used in choppers.
- The silicon-controlled rectifier (SCR) is used in inverters.
- The silicon-controlled rectifier (SCR) is used for power control.
- It is used for DC circuit breakers.
- A silicon control rectifier (SCR) is used in a battery charger.
- It is used to Adjust the light dimmer.
- It is used to control motors speed.
- The SCR is used in the pulse circuits.
- It is used for AC power control with a solid relay.
SCR Full Form
SCR full form – silicon-controlled rectifier
SCR full form in Electronics
Silicon Controlled Rectifier or Semiconductor Controlled Rectifier
SCR full form in Electrical
Silicon Controlled Rectifier or just Thyristor
Types of Thyristors
- Silicon controlled thyristor or SCRs
- Gate turn off thyristors or GTOs
- Emitter turn off thyristors or ETOs
- Reverse conducting thyristors or RCTs
- Bidirectional Triode Thyristors or TRIACs
- MOS turn off thyristors or MTOs
- Bidirectional phase controlled thyristors or BCTs
- Fast switching thyristors or SCRs
- Light-activated silicon controlled rectifiers or LASCRs
- FET controlled thyristors or FET-CTHs
- Integrated gate commutated Thyristors or IGCTs